Sunday, November 15, 2009

Cultural Day

Today was a Cultural Day trip to Los Angeles with Trina. Drove to the Historic Filipinotown off 101 Fwy on Alvarado St....well, to our surprise....it was more of less just any streets in Los Angeles. Drove up and down Alvarado then on Beverly Blvd. Only signs that we are in Filipinotown was the banners on the poles. We had hoped to find some kind of a cultural center, but when we did, it was closed and empty. Not willing to just leave and drive back home, we stopped a little at this cafe called "Tribal Cafe". Interesting place. Next door was a small Vintage shop....more interesting place. Snapped some photos then drove some more, then saw a Filipino restaurant called "Bahay Kubo". So we thought we'd stop in and just look around. Well, as soon as we stepped into the restaurant the aroma of Filipino food made us hungry. Just so we can say we've done some cultural experimentation, we ordered some food (pancit "noodles" and fried chicken) and picked up a few snack items for Trina to share with her class.

The most amazing Filipino lady served us behind the counter. Of course, I have to bring out my "tagalog" and order in my native language. Feeling a little intimidated since I don't use it as much as I should, but I think I did fairly well. She understood me. While she serves us, she has the biggest smile and was singing. If there was ever anyone that made us feel very welcome, it was her. I even told her that her personality reminded me of my mom's aunt and she giggled. This just completely made our day and our trip to L.A. memorable.

By the way, the food was amazing...so if anyone is at all craving for some great "Filipino" food, "Bahay Kubo" in Echo Park is worth visiting. I guess, you can try some karaoke while you are there. Who knew, karaoke in a Filipino establishment....it's a staple!

No comments:

Post a Comment